- Hot Chip – Day & Night (Daphni Remix) – Domino Records
To me, this is the only way to listen to Hot Chip. More breaks, less vocals and volle Pulle. Was released as a limited editin 12″ for record store day but is now also available digitally.
- Lana Del Rey – Blue Jeans (MK Dark Blue Dub)
Like an old school 90ties MK mix, but better: the trade mark chopped up vocals are back with phatter beats. Marc Kinchen recently returned to house music (besides producing Pitbull) and I’m still in love with him. And not just the music. This is the best of the 3 remixes he did of Blue Jeans. You were sorta punk rock. You were sorta punk rock. You were sorta punk rock.
- Shalamar – Make That Move (AC Re-Edit)
Recently found this re-edit of Shalamar’s disco classic. The full vocals only kick in at the 4 min mark. Until then the remixes rides on the feel good rhythm. LOVE IT. Free download.
- Jesse Perez – Dejen De Comer Tanta Pinga – Hot Creations
Gets the dance floor going every time.
- The KDMS – Wonderman (Original) / Wonderman feat. Alexis Taylor (Justus Köhncke remix) – Gomma
Kathy Diamond is the lead singer of duo KDMS, who just released their album ‘Kinky Dramas & Magic Stories‘. The current single is Wonderman Listen to the original version and the cover/remix with vocals by Alexis Taylor (of Hot Chip) remixed Justus Köhncke. BAM.
- Todd Terje – Inspector Norse – Olsen/Smalltown Supersound
Nordic nu disco no brainer.
- Tornado Wallace – Insect Overlords – Delusions Of Grandeur
Deep & dark.
- Arttu – Attic House (Gerd’s Re-Arrange-Mix) – 4Lux
Arttu – Nuclear Funk feat. Jerry The Cat – Clone Royal Oak
- Deichkind – Leider Geil (Solomun Remix) – Universal
Das deutsche Haus.
- Usher – Climax (Poupon Edit)
This is the pitched down vocals – sped up beats version. Although, I still can’t get enough on the original Climax.
As I haven’t done dj charts in awhile this is almost a very late best of 2011 house and disco list. Listen and download my new disco house mini mix, which includes song of the songs below. Track list on soundcloud.
- Prince Club – Love Jackson
This is basically a four to the floor remix of Janet Jackson’s Someone To Call My Lover with sloooooowed down vocals. Also, check out the Club’s Sax Bomb.
- Solomun – Love Recycled 1 – 2DIY4
Samples Michael McDonald’s “I Keep Forgetting” which was turned into the hip-hop hit “Regulate” by Warren G in the 90ties.
- SSION – Weird Yearz (das hussy remix)
My dj bff hussy came up with the bubbling trance house version of the SSION hit.
- Storm Queen – It Goes On / Look Right Through (Jamie Jones Remix) – Environ
Morgan Geist’s Storm Queen project has been on every bodies playlist last year. At the end of February MK will provide additional remixes in his classic 90ties chopped up vocal style.
- Daphni – Ahora – Amazing Sounds
Art Department feat Soul Clap – We Call Love (Daphni Remix) – Crosstown Rebels
Daphni is the house side of Caribou’s Dan Snaith. Ahora and the We Call Love remix are both very funky and trippy house workouts. Perfect for the dance floor. Crazy synths included.
- Lady Gaga – Marry The Night (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs Remix) – Interscope
Gets rid of almost all of Gaga’s vocals and turn Marry into a monster.
- Britney Spears – Toxic (Hrdvision Remix)
Britney will never be more trance than this. Make sure to watch the video which is perfectly matched to the slowed down version.
- Shaun J Wright – Forevermore (Hazed Mix by Ha-Ze Factory) – Mr. INTL
The bass line is so addictive for the dance floor. Paired with Hercules & Love Affair vocalist Shaun’s voice this is such a classic house treat.
- Max Essa – How Do You Feel (Kim Ann Foxman Remix) – NeedWant
Mario Basanov – Lonely Days – NeedWant
Coyote – Always (Neville Watson Remix) – NeedWant
Just three of my favourite songs from the London based NeedWant label specializing in house / disco / tropical.
- Light Fires – 10 ft. Tall / If You’re Bored
Regina The GentleLady is the front drag queen of the Light Fires. We had her perform at Hontuts many times and every time she brought the house down. Watch If You’re Bored on the tiny Hotnuts stage.
- Sylvester – Band of Gold (Gay Marvine Re-Edit) -Secret Mixes Fixes
- Omar S presents – Who Wrote The Rules of Love (Shadow Ray Remix) – FXHE
- Lisa Stansfield – People Hold On (KOKO Re-Edit) – Gamm
- Die Vögel – Fratzengulasch – Pampa Records
Always fun to drop a German language song into a dj set.
- DJ Jus Ed – I’m Com’In (Levon Vincent Remix) – Underground Quality
- Tracey Thorn – You Are a Lover (Clock Opera Remix) – Strange Feeling
Love the Klaviergeklimpere of the remix.
- Billy Ray Martin – Sweet Suburban Disco (Vince Clark Remix) – Disco Activisto
- Jessica 6 – White Horse (Populette Remix) – Peacefrog
- Paul McCartney – Coming Up (Justus Köhncke’s Extended Tribute)
This will probably be the only PMC song that I’m into. Also love the video with lots of Paul’s.
- Hercules & Love Affair – Shelter -Moshi Moshi
It’s a pity that this stunning house cover of The XX was not included on the H&LA album. Kim Ann Foxman’s voice sounds so fresh and clear. Was first released as the B-Side to the Painted Eyes single and later avaiable as a bonus track to the American re-release of the album.
- Omar S – Solely Supported – FXHE Records
- Miguel Migs feat. Meshell Ndegeocello – Close Your Eyes (Deetron Remix) – OM Records
Meshell’s smooth vocals over an acid house track. YES!
- Shirley Murdock – As We Lay (Pirahnahead’s Inside Out Mix)
Enya – Orinoco Flow [Sail Away] (Pirahnahead Remix)
If you’re looking for classic soulful house, these Pirahnahead remixes are the way to go.
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs – Garden (Jesse Rose Remix) – Made To Play
- Eli Escobar feat. Nomi Ruiz – Desire – Plant Music
Whether Nomi sings with Jessica 6 or on this one, I can’t resist her voice.
- Kyle Hall – Ghosten – Third Ear
Melancholic house at it’s best.
- Manuel Tur feat. Holly Backler – Most of this Moment – Freerange Records
We’re having Big Fun! Inner City says HI.
- Hrdvision – I Can’t Exist – Areal Records
- Toddla T feat. Roisin Murphy – Cherry Picking
Still waiting on a new album from Ms. Murphy. This dubby song helped a bit. Was first released on red vinyl with a cut out cherry cover.
- Justus Köhncke – Fussmachine – Nang Records
- Pteradactil Disco – Big Ass Biscuit – Hot Creations
Has a total Detroit Grand Pubahs vibe coming from the nasty lyrics and the four to the floor beat. It’s part of a minimix I did last April.
Aside from all the tracks below, my favourite album right now is Chic Organization Box Set Volume 1 – “Savoir Faire”. It has so many disco classics, some are remixed for the first time by Dimitri from Paris. It’s a treasure.
- A Taste of The Honeys – Essential (Nick Holder’s Essential Mix) – Women On Wax
The Ladies of Detroit remixed by Toronto’s Nick Holder. I know this one is from 2008, but I just found it recently. Love it.
- Lee Foss – U Got Me EP – Hot Creations
U Got Me and Run Around are the little bit old school chopped up vocal hits that were released this summer.
- Bon Iver – Woods (das hussy Remix)
Months ago, I begged das hussy to remix Woods by Bon Iver. And when she did, I was in deep house heaven. Listen and download.
- Kim Ann Foxman – Creature / What You Need – MR. INTL
I almost wish it was a little bit less 90ties and more recent sounding. Love it anyhow.
- Storm Queen – Look Right Through (Vox) – Environ
Produced by Morgan Geist “featuring the vocal talents of Damon C. Scott. Scott and Geist met on the NYC subways where Scott performs.”
- Dennis Ferrer – The Red Room (Kyle MF Hall MeMix) – Objektivity
This is hands down one of my favourite remixes in a long time. Raw beats & hard stuttering.
- Justus Köhncke – I Wouldn’t Wanne Be Like You – Total 11 / Kompakt
Space – Deliverance (Justus Köhncke’s ‘Wild Pitch’ Mix) – Nang
I like to start an ealry dj set with I Wouldn’t Wanne Be Like You & set the mood. Smooth and bossy. And later hit the Wild Pitch remix of the disco classic.
- Art Department – Without You – Crosstown Rebels
Love the sloooooowed dooooown deep vocals.
- Mark Ronson & The Business Intl feat. Boy George – Somebody To Love Me (Herve ‘Very Vox’ Remix) – Sony
- Round Table Knights vs Bauchamp – Calypso (Zombie Disco Squad & Miman Remix) – Made To Play
It is what it is. Calypso house.
- Joey Negro presents Kola Kube – Why (Hot Toddy Club Mix) – Z Records
Cover version of the Chic produced Carly Simon classic. Boogie down.
- Toby Tobias – Rock You Will (Dub) – Nang
Basically a re-edit of Giorgio Moroder’s – I Wanna Rock You and some Chic Le Freak.
- Omar feat. Angie Stone – Stylin (Triad’s 118bpm Remix) – Peppermint Jam
- Andy Butler & Jason Kendig – And I’m (So In Love With You) – MR. INTL
Another Mr INTL release that will help us with the wait for the new Hercules & Love Affair album.
- Caribou – Leave House (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix) – Cityslang
Very Arthur Russell.
- Michael Jackson – Get On The Floor (Holy Ghost Edit)
Fantastic MJ disco re-edit.
- Kimiesha Holmes – Love Me True (True Love Mix) – Quark
Original house track from 1989. Luis played this at the last Love Saves the Day.
- Trulz & Robin – Gay Boys – Catalytic
Only Peg Zilla could send me a link to the gayest track on this list.
- 40 Thieves – Don’t Turn It Off (Featuring Qzen) (Brennan Green Remix) – Permanent Vacation
Bubbly acid burner.
- Pantha Du Prince – Welt Am Draht (Animal Collective Remix)
I’ve been so behind with the dj charts. And now, this is what you get, 25 plus songs. Have some patience and work through the list, the diamonds & pearls are not only at the top.
- Crookers feat. Roisin Murphy – Royal T – Southern Fried
I don’t really know if this is the #1 but it sure is a crazy energy song with super highs and mellow parts. So during the breaks you can come up with an interpretive dance interlude. I was lucky enough to have an early copy and so it was Royal T Nuts for a few months. Still waiting for the Riva Starr Vocal mix to come out, the dub is a bit to dull for me.
- Ray Mang – Bullet Proof feat. Lady Miss Kier – DFA
I’ve written about this before. I don’t get tired of listening and playing it. Classic upbeat vocal house. Something about anti war.
- Jazzanova – Look What You’re Doin’ To Me feat. Phonte (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix) – Universal
Who knew this song comes out of Germany? Deep and downbeat. Whoever calls the lyrics kitschy doesn’t get it.
- Pirahnahead & Diviniti feat. Eric King – 2getherness (7 Mile Dub) – Whasdat
This one rumbles the floors. With love from Detroit.
- The MuthaFunkaz – Hangin On A String (Miami Mix) – Code Red
Turning the original Loose ends version from 1985 into a stomper.
- Remerc – Baptista – Greelpound
Cologne in the house. I’m always falling for chopped up vocals or weird vocal sounds.
- Missing Linkx – Who To Call – Philpot Records
Pushy piano geklimper house. Feeling the vocal breaks.
- David Keno – Upside Down – Snatch
You know who sang the original. This is a dubby house version. And there even is a silly video for it. First release on Riva Stars’ label.
- The Martinez Brothers – Don’t No Yet EP – Objektivity
The young boys have taken over & have created a monster EP. All three tracks are hits.
- Jessica 6 – Fun Girl (Keinemusik Remix)
This mix is more straightforward then the 13 min disco workout I’ve mentioned before. One for earlier, one for later. Which is which?
- Omar S aka Alex Smith – Sign And Drive / Here With Me feat. Diviniti – FXHE
Ahhh. Another masterpiece. Love the long intro and then Diviniti’s vocals hit you. So good.
- Tracey Thorn – Why Does The Wind Blow (Ewan Pearson Radio Edit) – Strange Feeling
This song is from her upcoming album which should have the full version. “Love And Its Opposite” will probably be more acoustic from what I heard, so I’m happy we get some dancey stuff as well.
- Willie Graff & Tuccillo – Give You Up (Chez Damier’s A Little More Interpretation) – Freerange
The first time I heard this one, I had the loopy filtered synths in my head for the whole day. It’s a 9 minute trippy house journey.
- Jaffa Surfa – Disko Z (Original Mix) – Bosconi Extra Virgin
Nu new disco.
- Ike – Diskadenz – Philpot Records
Rolling piano beats.
- Ian Pooley – What I Got feat. Tim Fuller (Derrick Carter Vocal Remix) – Pooled Music
Derrick Carter’s trademark bouncy beats bring this track to a whole new level.
- Erykah Badu – Window Seat (Dj Aakmael dubb mixx)
Unofficial deep house remix of Erykah’s lead single. An early or very late, warm song to play.
- Argy & The Martinez Brothers – Debbie Downer
So gut mit MJ Sample.
- Tensnake – Coma Cat – Permanent Vacation
Hier laeuten die Glocken. Peg AssIs turned me onto this one and now I have to play it every time she’s thurrr, just to shut her up and get her dancing.
- Henrik Schwarz And Kuniyuki – Once Again (Kuniyuki Version) – Mule Musiq
What was missing from the charts? Jazzy piano. Here we go.
- Roisin Murphy – Momma’s Place (The C90s Remix)
I believe this remix was commissioned by Ms Murphy but somehow it didn’t get released on the single. Such a pity, because it is the best mix.
- Rennie Foster – Savior feat. Aaron-Carl (Club Mix) – Rebirth
Written and sung by AC. Classic.
- Romanthony – Girls Like Girls (Zanzibar Vocal) – Blackmale
The bf is scared his gf is on the dl. “I don’t wanna be the last to know, that my girl likes girls on the downlow.” So deep it hurts.
- DJ PP – 100% Percusion - Soulman Music
It is what it is. As the title suggests.
- Motorcitysoul – Deliver Me (Original Mix) – Simple
Uuuh, there is also an Acoustic Version.
And some disco classics that I love:
- Suzy Q – Get On Up Do It Again
- Golden Flamingo Orchestra ft. Margo Williams – The Guardian Angel Is Watching Over Us
- Plastic Bertrand – Stop Ou Encore (Ron Hardy Re-Edit)
Here are my dj charts that I should have posted half a year (or something) ago. Since my last countdown was posted in April, this is almost like a best of 2009. So late. So sorry. But so good.
More recent charts are just around the corner. I promise.
- Jerome Sydenham – Ecoute (Ecoute!) – UK Promotions
Has some “Sylvester – Dance (Disco Heat)” (Martha Wash and Izora Armstead on vocals) in the mix and turns it into a modern disco house track. Love it.
- The Gossip – Love Long Distance (Riva Starr Remix Vocal) – Sony
The remix on soundcloud is not the complete version, but you get the idea of the cut up vocals. Stomper.
- Derrick Carter – A Hope (Over U) (D’s Meeting House Dub) – Classic
Super house classic from the Mo Pschidt Ep, has the chipmunk Friends (The 1:00 Club) on the flipside. I got into it again last year and have been spinning it quite a bit. Both sides.
- Omar-S – Lift Him Up feat. Don Q and Still Serious Nic – FXHE
Lift Him Up is a raw gospel deep house monster featuring Omar-S’s brother on vocals. Still Serious Nic is seriously rough.
- Lady Gaga – Bad Romance (Hercules & Love Affair Mix) – Interscope
You can’t escape Gaga after this nu disco Hercules remix. Best mix of her songs so far. There is also a dub version if you can’t stand the vocals.
- Pezzner – Shasta (Master King Reprise Mix) – Physical Graffiti
Hysterical peak time track. Deep shet.
- Aaron-Carl – I Refuse (Quentin Harris Remix) – Wall Shaker Music
Love the Prince samples in this one. And combined with AC’s vocals, ahhhh, unbeatable.
- DJ T. – Shine On (Motor City Drum Ensemble Warehouse Dub Mix) – Get Physical
Just one of many great Motor City Drum Ensemble mixes that came out last year. Check out Danielo on soundcloud for the latest on Motor City songs.
- The Phenomenal Handclap Band – You’ll Disappear (Horse Meat Disco Remix) – Gomma
Nu disco, space disco. Not sure what to call it.
- Dennis Ferrer – Sinfonia Della Notte – Strictly Rhythm
- Romanthony – Miami (Mix 1)
New, raw production with a vocal loop “Have you ever been to Miami?”
- Justus Köhncke – Lieder der Nacht feat. Marianne Rosenberg – E’de Cologne
So gay. So good. So German.
- Marc Evans – Tonight’s The Night (Miguel Migs Salted Dub) – Defected
- Michael Gray, Danism & Lisa Millett – Say Yes – Defected
- Jovonn feat. Koffee the Story – Kitty Kat (Original Main Mix) – NextMoov
I always fall for some good pussy talk.
- RÃ³isÃn Murphy – Orally Fixated
This one was all over the interwebs when Roisin finally released it. Still pumping.
- Todd Terry – Play On (Eddie Thoneick Remix) feat. Tara Macdonald – Strictly Rhythm
That’s not all. Here’s some Michael Jackson. I love to play these mixes:
- Michael Jackson – Remember The Time (Silky Soul 12” Mix) – Sony
One of my (if not the) favourite MJ remixes. Steve Silk Hurley turned Remember The Time into a house classic. Sorry, couldn’t find a good link for the 12″ version.
- Michael Jackson – Rock With You (Frankie Knuckles Favourite Club Mix) – Sony
This one is so smooth. A good start into the night. I believe it was first released as the B-Side to “You Are Not Alone” in 1995.
- Argy & The Martinez Brothers – Debbie Downer – Objektivity
This came out before Michael’s death. It has a sample (“don’t you dare”) that definitely sounds like MJ, but I can’t make out the song it’s from. Any ideas?
This doesn’t look so different from last year’s top 25.
It was another Mariah-released-a-new-album year.
Happy New Year!
Apart from the songs below, I love to listen to anything Kid Cudi. Hopefully he is coming out with his debut album soon, although Cudi has recently announced and withdrawn, his retirement. In general, I do think it is a great idea to announce the retirement before the first album hits the streets.
- Danism & Michael Watford – Change (Original Mix) – MN2S
From the WMC Miami Sampler. Great beats with a hint of gospel.
- Marc Evans – The Way U Love Me (Spen’s Deadly Love Potion) – Defected
This is such a good dub mix, with some metal hitting sounds. Has a powerful vocal break near the end.
- Black Science Orchestra – Save Us (MotorCitySoul Remix) – Junior Boys Own
- Jennifer Hudson – Spotlight (Quentin Harris Dark Collage Club Mix) – Arista
I’m a little bit late on this one. It is a gay monster. I start playing this after 1:45 min., it is a little bit too circut before. But I loves me some J-Hud.
- 3rd Face – Canto Della Liberta (D’s New 3rd Face Dub) – Classic Recordings
Very hysterical spanish yelling on this new remix of 90ties house.
- Capracara – King Of The Witches (Rub N Tug Remix) – DFA
More new disco from DFA.
- Cece Peniston – Finally (Aaron-Carl Remix)
And I thought I would never listen or dj that song again. Aaron-Carl proved me wrong. The remix pushes some fresh beats through that rusty old homo anthem.
- Mary J. Blige – Give Me You (Club Path / Boris Dlugosch Mix) – MCA
I found this record at an used record store. It is such a pushy remix.
- Lil Louis – Club Lonely (Ill Mark Remix) – Bulk
Unofficial, new remix of the classic house song.
- Moody – Freeki Mutha F cker – KDJ
Moodymann giving us a solid Prince song.
- Stevie Wonder – Make Sure You’re Sure (Timmy Regisford & Quentin Harris Mix) – Un-restricted Access
The original version of the song is from the Jungle Fever soundtrack.
- Andreas Dorau – Im September (Justus Köhncke Remix) – Mute
Im September. Oktober. November. Dezember. That are all the lyrics in Justus’ disco dubby mix that I missed when the song was first released. Amäzing. Available at iTunes Germany.
- Flora Cruz – Overcome (Phil Hooton’s Mel Cheren and Larry Levan Tribute Vocal) – Mixtape Sessions Music
Just from the name you can see that this is a great old-school sounding disco mix.
- Bear Who – U Step (BHQ Remix) – Dust Traxx
More Derrick Carter bouncy Chicago house.